Friday, March 23, 2007

Stress in the City

Everyone I know is stressed. REALLY stressed. And everyone is so stressed that they have no time or energy left to be sympathetic about each other's stress levels.

Mostly this stress seems to come from two main sources: work and babies. However, after pondering about this for a few days, I think there is a third factor: Melbourne. Well, not Melbourne itself, but the stress that comes from living in a busy city. The reason I think Melbourne is a factor is that for the past six or so years that I lived in Tasmania, I knew people who worked and people who had babies, and they just didn't seem as stressed as the people I know here.

Life in Tassie just moves at a different pace. Most people seem to work fairly normal hours, or if they don't, it's because they either love their job or they are the kinds of people who always put that bit of extra effort into whatever they do (yes, you know who you are!). Tasmania has:

  • less traffic and therefore less road rage
  • fewer things to do of an evening so less stress about overwhelming social calendars
  • shorter distances to travel between work and home
  • fewer shops so less temptation to spend beyond your budget
  • less choice about where to shop, what to buy, what movie to see and where to go for dinner so less anxiety over decision-making
  • less competition for jobs, real estate, the best seats in the cinema, a seat on the tram, parking spaces, etc, etc

Having said all that, I could write an enormous list of all the things that Melbourne has that Tasmania doesn't (but I'd just end up getting stressed out about not having enough time to do all the things that Melbourne has to offer).

Anyway, they are my Friday-night-at-home-alone thoughts. And don't get me wrong, I am THRILLED to be home on a Friday night. For once I have managed to have NOTHING to do, and am enjoying pizza, beer, soothing music and chilling out on the couch in my pj's. (And Ange will be on her way over later after her dinner with her good friend who she has been too busy and too stressed to catch up with for so long now. I hope both of them relax enough to talk about something other than how stressed they are at work!)

No comments: